Thursday, January 25, 2007

Cable Mistake

I am knitting a hat with a cabled brim. It's the Braid-edged Cap from the Knitting Pattern a Day calendar, March 19 & 20, 2005. Well I realized I crossed a cable incorrectly but I was about 4 inches and 3 crossings beyond that point at the time.

Bad Cable Crossing

In Melissa Leapman's book Cables Untangled she suggests not frogging back but rather dropping down the one part of the cable which needs fixing and knitting it back up. So I took a leap of faith and determined which 3 stitches were involved and dropped them down to a spot just below the mistake.

Unravelled Cable

Then I followed the directions in Vogue Knitting for picking up dropped stitches. Stitch by stitch, row by row, I knitted those stitches back up making sure I crossed them correctly. It took me a while but I think it looks pretty good.

Working My Way Back Up


All Done

I've never done anything like this before and I was nervous to say the least. Yet, I took the chance. And now, I have a great sense of satisfaction and I know if I have to do something like that again, I can do it. Yes I can!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should post a video tutorial of these mad skillz in action.