Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year - 2006 Round Up

Happy New Year to Everyone. I appreciate all those who take time to read my musings. The end of 2006 was rather busy and I did not blog as much as I would like. Today I will catch you up on all the items I've been working on.

I plan to sign up to participate in Knit Michigan. It combines a knitting/fiber marathon, a knit-in, a marketplace to buy great fibery items, and beginner lessons for the public. The money raised goes to several cancer charities in Michigan. As part of the marathon fee they ask you to make a chemo cap. Here's mine. I used Bernat Satin since it is very soft and easy care. The pattern is Gulf Shores by Melissa Rotert on the Crochet me website.

Chemo Cap

I completed the last of my scarves for the Red Scarf Project. These two give me a total of five. You can see the other three here. The One Row scarf from the Yarn Harlot was done with Patons Classic Wool.

One Row Scarf

The Short Row Rib scarf from Mag Knits was done with Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed.

Short Row Rib Scarf

I made several hats for the Dulaan Project. The Three-cornered hat is an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern. It's from her book Knitter's Almanac. Books can be ordered from Schoolhouse Press.

EZ's Three-cornered Hat

Several years ago I found a nice pattern which was designed by Susan Krause for the Ships Project.

Ships Crocheted Ribbed Helmet Hat

This basic crocheted hat pattern comes from a very old Coats & Clarks pattern, circa mid 70s.

Basic Crocheted Hat

And these hats were done using combinations of the above patterns.

More Hats

I've also been trying to design a reversible cabled scarf. I chose two cables from Vogue Stitchionary 2. Side A is Garlic Braid (#91). Side B is the Retwisted Taffy (#19). Click on the picture to see a larger version on flickr. And if you move your mouse over the picture on flickr you'll see the cables highlighted.

Here's Side A: Renee's reversible cabled scarf, side A

And here's Side B: Renee's reversible cabled scarf, side B

I'm not sure whether I like it or not. The two cables are very different and I'm not sure I like the effect on the reverse of each. Then again, maybe I need to go up a needle size or two so it has more drape. I'll keep at it in between other projects.

No comments: