Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport - pool or spiral?

There's been a lot of questions out there about Lorna's Laces yarn. Does it pool? Does it spiral? I'm using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport for my Sockapalooza 4 socks. It's my first time using a Lorna's Laces yarn. My swatch was done in plain stockinette in the round with 40 sts on size 1s. It pooled so much when the swatch was folded in half each side appeared to be done out of a different yarn. But I decided to go ahead with it anyway since my sock would not be done in plain stockinette. I also knew that the number of stitches and the stitch pattern chosen along with the length of the color repeat in the yarn all affect the final outcome.

I'm working with 72 sts on size 1 needles using the Broad Spiral Ribbing from More Sensational Knitted Socks on the instep. The sole of course is done in plain stockinette. I'm working toe up, two at a time, using the Magic Loop technique. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Purple Iris. Below are pictures of the instep with the ribbing pattern and the sole. The sole isn't pooling but is repeating nicely though not what I would call striping or spiraling. The instep does has a somewhat stripy thing going on. I'm curious how things will change as I continue the increases for the gusset.

sole done in stockinette


instep done in the ribbing pattern


I guess the debate will continue. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! As you said, the # of stitches and the pattern make all the difference in how hand-dyed yarn behaves. There isn't an extreme color contrast in your yarn, but notice how the lighter purple and lighter green stack up and the darker purple and darker green stack up and those two combos alternate (more noticeable in stockinette). Because the colors go together so well (and there are more stitches on your needles) that barberpole effect is not as noticeable. Personally, I like how Lorna's behaves...I've even had the colors line up and make vertical stripes going up my socks. That yarn is wacky, unpredictable, and comes in GREAT colors--I love it!
Beautiful job on the socks.

Seanna Lea said...

Ooh, I like the ribbing on the front. It looks (I nearly typed feels, but I don't have a feel-o-puter) nice and bumpy. I really like textured knits and it looks like a good pattern for blending colors together.

Cynthia said...

I think pooling completely depends on gauge, pattern, number of stitches... basically I don't think there's one variegated yarn out there that doesn't pool for anyone.

I'm not sure.. are you a member of the rocking sock club? Anyway, if you see the results of all the socks knitted in the SAME pattern: some have lovely stripes/spirals (you can check my blog for one of those), others turn out like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/esmecat/447719562/

Exact same yarn, exact same pattern. Crazy huh?

BTW- great yarn!

sweetspinnings said...

Lovely colors!!! they look great for the simple fact that there is no pooling!! what is your gauge on these socks??

LavenderSheep said...

Your socks look awesome! What color of lorna's are you using?

Robyn said...

ooh- I'm going to use the same color- will have to see how mine turn out with the pooling/spiraling

Danielle said...

Gorgeous. I agree, the colors are working very, very well, together!