Sunday, August 20, 2006

Crocheting caps for a good cause

In July, I attended Chain Link 2006, the national conference of the CGOA, in King of Prussia, PA. During the annual meeting, they discussed a new partnership between the CYCA's Warm Up America! Foundation and Save the Children called Caps to the Capital. Knitting and crocheting hats is a simple, low-cost practice that could save newborn lives in developing countries around the world. We were told "the goal is 500,000 hats (applause from the crowd) but we can do 1 million, can't we? (thunderous applause from the crowd)". The group of crocheters sitting in the room loudly declared we were up to the challenge.

I am constantly making something and find it very satisying to make items and donate them to worthy causes. So when I heard about Caps to the Capital I went right home and searched my stash for stray balls of yarn. My personal goal is to make at least 50 hats by Thanksgiving. I crochet or knit most days in the cafeteria after I finish my lunch. Usually I can complete at least one hat during my lunch hour. The other day I finished two. Please don't tell my boss. You can keep up with my progress by glancing at the bar over on the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your boss already knows about your crocheting habit... :)