Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Knit Michigan

The first Knit Michigan took place on Saturday, February 3rd. I had a blast. Since I was afraid I would be late I set three alarm clocks and instead I was the first marathoner to show up at 8:35am. The marathoners raised over $7000 for the four cancer charities. One woman raised $1100. My friend Pam had the 2nd highest amount, $750. She won a scarf kit and the book Fabulous Felted Hand-Knits by Jane Davis.

Thanks to all of my sponsors, I raised $718 and took 3rd place. My prize was a kit to knit a bunny. A kit I had almost purchased earlier in the day. They know me so well. And if you look real close you can see the time on my watch, 11:47pm. If you’re wondering how I can look that awake that late in the day, thank Candice. My friend Candice brought me a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts. (a sugar buzz can keep you going for hours if you keep feeding it)



During the marathon, I met a lot of very nice people. I also managed to get a hat completed (well almost, I finished it on Sunday). Classes were offered to marathoners and I took the Thrummed Sock class. My Thrummed Sock class was taught by Rae of Rae's Yarn Boutique. Thrums are pieces of unspun wool which are knit into the item. They keep you very warm. We started a mini sock during class and I finished it on Sunday as well.



I did take advantage of the fact vendors were present and made a few purchases during the day. Since I decided to knit from my stash this year (see post here) I did try to limit my purchases. I rationalized it all by reminding myself a portion of the proceeds would go to the cancer charities. I purchased hand carved crochet hooks in sizes F through K, a Candace Eisner Strick scarf kit, and some Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn in one of the Water colorways.


We received a letter from the organizers (Bridget and Joan) of KnitMichigan at the end of February. The 2007 statistics are as follows:
  • 185 chemo caps were donated
  • 9 shops and 7 guilds participated
  • 55 people registered as marathoners
  • 270 people came through the door for the general public portion of the event
  • $4,557 was raised for the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center
  • $5,092 was raised for the Genesys Health System
  • $4,797 was raised for Gilda's Club
  • $3,836 for the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Mark your calendar for next year, February 2, 2008.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun for a great cause! Very cool!