Saturday, March 31, 2007

Meeting Stephanie aka The Yarn Harlot



Last night I went with my muggle friend Doty to meet the Yarn Harlot at the Joseph-Beth bookseller in Pittsburgh, PA. Even though the event was not scheduled to start until 7pm, I wanted to be there early to avoid the rush. We arrived around 5 and it's a good thing. We got good seats, 4th row aisle, and we got in group A for the book signing.

While waiting for Stephanie to arrive, Doty and I chatted with the other knitters who were patiently waiting. Most of the audience was knitting. Many of them knitting socks. Many of them wearing their work. One gentleman who was there said he only wears handknit socks. The woman who knit them was next to him and let me tell you she does a beautiful job. Doty said they look like they were purchased in the store. It was great to be among my own kind. Now keep in mind, I do not live in Pittsburgh, in fact I live 350 miles from Pittsburgh. But I felt right at home with this group of knitters.

At 7pm sharp, Stephanie walked down the center aisle, close enough for me to reach out and touch that gorgeous Bohus sweater she was wearing. If you read Stepahnie's blog you know she takes pictures of her "tour" sock with the people she meets and with the landmarks she visits along the way. So she began by taking pics of her sock with all of us as the background.

Then Stephanie talked for about an hour. She talked about how muggles (non-knitters) underestimate us, how we knitters really step up to the plate when asked. It was humorous, inspiring, and great fun. My friend Doty thought it was great and she doesn't knit.

Joseph-Beth has a great system for book signings. As you come in, you get a slip telling you what group you're in. They have a path all set up for you to get to the author. It's kind of like trying to get to the cash register at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving. Or trying to get on a ride at Disney World. Since we got there early I was in group A. And I got my picture taken with the Harlot, see above. And Stephanie took my picture to post on her blog. Click here to see the post.

It was a wonderful evening and if you ever have a chance to go meet Stephanie you should do it. You will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I've only just discovered the Harlot, my mum bought me two of her books for my birthday recently.
I hope she comes across the Atlantic sometimes.....

Your ISE Secret Pal

ooo I've just given you a clue as to who I am....

Sarah said...

Hi Renee,

That gentleman in the front row wearing the red socks was my darling fiance, so thank you very much for your compliments on my knitting!