Sunday, September 03, 2006

Following the Rules

It's Labor Day weekend. I have three days off from work and I scheduled two more off. What can I do with 5 days off? Crafting for 5 days would be lots of fun. But the dishes would continue to pile up in the sink. The dust bunnies would continue to grow into giant mutant rabbits. And the vast amounts of stuff accumulated in my house would still be there (sometimes I think it multiplies when I'm not looking). I gotta set some rules.

Here they are. Each day I must work on household chores (there is a list of them) for at least 6 hours. I am only allowed to craft (there's a list for this too) after dinner or after 8 o'clock. Depends if my 6 hours of work are done by dinner time. Sleeping late does not get me out of doing the requisite amount of work each day.

And when I do craft I can only work on certain items. I signed up for the CGOA's Masters of Basic Stitches course. You get a whole year to complete 21 swatches and answer 18 questions. I have one month left and as you can see on the sidebar I am less than half way done. This must get completed on time. My goal for Caps for the Capital is close to being done. I am allowed to work on this because it's a good take along project. It's amazing how much you can get done while waiting in line or for your meal to be placed in front of you, or while every gabs at the table after finishing dessert. And lastly, I am allowed to work on my Baby Surprise jacket an Elizabeth Zimmerman design) since it only needs to be seamed and the buttons sewn on. I first saw it on Smokin' Hot Needles blog.

I had such good intentions. I had to go to work on Saturday morning at 6am. But they weren't ready on time so I tried to go back to sleep, tried again later, and eventually went in at 10. That threw me off and I took a nap when I got home at 3pm. So I didn't do any chores and I went over Karen's for dinner and movies with her and Brent (aka Pez). I did get 3 caps made while at Karen's. Today though, I did really well. I worked for over 6 hours on chores, crossed several items off my list, and I finished three more swatches for my CGOA coursework. Yippee ! ! !

Tomorrow is the last day of the Michigan State Fair. Karen, Pez, and I are supposed to go. To stay on track I need to get some stuff done before I leave the house and after I come home. Hopefully, I can do that. Well I know I can but will I do that. Only time will tell.

Tuesday and Wednesday will probably be productive since my friends will be back at work. No distractions. I might actually achieve my goal of a clutter free house by the end of the year after all. Several more weekends with rules will be required for that to happen. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

6 hours of household chores? Now I'm starting to worry about you. Who are you and what did you do with the real Renee?

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm just jealous because you made rules and stuck to them!